Do you play to win?

DavidCore89

"You play to win the game" - Herm Edwards (YouTube Link)

I've come to realize (years ago) my gamer skills are never going to put me in the elite class and add to that I'm always stoned and watching tv while I play; not a winning combination.  If I were to say it's only fun when I win, I'd be disappointed a lot, which has made how I play videos games some what less competitive.  I don't mind slowing down in a race for the guy whose swerving in front of me, or being bullet bait in a DM/TDM to show where the enemies are.  

That doesn't mean that I don't try, you'll often hear more frustration "f*cks" than actual words when I play.  I guess at the end of the day what I'm trying to say is I get more enjoyment out of mature, fun atmosphere here than I do actually winning.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DavidCore89

• Matusware

• bullittblitz

• Cheng

Top Posters In This Topic

"You play to win the game" - Herm Edwards (YouTube Link)

I've come to realize (years ago) my gamer skills are never going to put me in the elite class and add to that I'm always stoned and watching tv while I play; not a winning combination.  If I were to say it's only fun when I win, I'd be disappointed a lot, which has made how I play videos games some what less competitive.  I don't mind slowing down in a race for the guy whose swerving in front of me, or being bullet bait in a DM/TDM to show where the enemies are.  

That doesn't mean that I don't try, you'll often hear more frustration "f*cks" than actual words when I play.  I guess at the end of the day what I'm trying to say is I get more enjoyment out of mature, fun atmosphere here than I do actually winning.

Lol I often blurt out the odd word in frustration too, which often indicates that person is trying hard.

I guess the game is fun either way for you, with no pressure from yourself to win or no pressure from others to win (ie huge 5k+ bets).

You get your fair share of wins to keep you a happy dodge, I hope  :D

I have to say that you are probably the most easy going guy around when it comes to not winning, you're the first to make the jokes about it and I admire that because I would be furious with myself lol.

I know it's just a game, like any other game, but for me it's hard to separate fun from a good old ass kicking.[/quote

I do Dc89. I like the constant challenge when racing with you, Rev, Rumdig, and many others. Just last night Alchemic-Ink and I hada good run for afew races. Its not fun unless there is a challenge. Also, there is no way to get better unless there is someone to challenge you. We definately have that here. I doesnt matter whether you are in the front, middle or the back of the pack, there is always someone to challenge you.

• Like 2

Dodgeservice.png

You get your fair share of wins to keep you a happy dodge, I hope  :D

I have to say that you are probably the most easy going guy around when it comes to not winning, you're the first to make the jokes about it and I admire that because I would be furious with myself lol.

I know it's just a game, like any other game, but for me it's hard to separate fun from a good old ass kicking.[/quote

I do Dc89. I like the constant challenge when racing with you, Rev, Rumdig, and many others. Just last night Alchemic-Ink and I hada good run for afew races. Its not fun unless there is a challenge. Also, there is no way to get better unless there is someone to challenge you. We definately have that here. I doesnt matter whether you are in the front, middle or the back of the pack, there is always someone to challenge you.

I couldn't agree more

The other half is for others. Without them one can only sustain an interest in playing on their own for so long. This includes socializing and immersing yourself in group dynamics. This may also include a willing sacrifice on my end from time to time. For example: holding back so they win or intentionally making a mistake for their benefit. I do this occasionally when I sense it'd be best to because I like to see people enjoy things (especially if they feel they're not very good at something). If it lengthens their overall stay with things and makes it more enjoyable to them, then it's completely worth the subtle manipulation. After all, without the company of other people (friends in this case), you may as well be playing SP by yourself.

I agree 100%.

I have done this quite a few times, especially if they have kept up throughout the race and don't get many opportunities to win, but only with crew in GTAO (no other games and certainly no randoms)

I'll never ever take that win away from anyone by saying "I let you win".

The mistakes I intentionally make are very hard to spot, I enjoy seeing others win and revel in the glory.

I'll also slow down and let them regain the position if I feel I have gained a position unfairly (By unfairly I don't mean by ramming or aggressive driving), this obviously comes from many years playing F1.

Edited by DavidCore89
  • Like 1

I always play to win, doesn't matter what game or what environment, I just think that part of the fun is to win  :)

The winning mentality already shows with the great performances in the crew challenges since you joined us  ;)

The winning mentality already shows with the great performances in the crew challenges since you joined us  ;)

Haha yeah, like I said, I always play to win. I almost broke my controller when I only scored -6 on a round of golf, had to redo it right away and scored -9, lol.

With that being said I have some work to do in this weeks challenge, damn it! :D

• Like 1

desuno1.jpg

Haha yeah, like I said, I always play to win. I almost broke my controller when I only scored -6 on a round of golf, had to redo it right away and scored -9, lol.

With that being said I have some work to do in this weeks challenge, damn it! :D

Lol I would have been celebrating -6 but I'm really bad at golf.

I expect the crew challenges to be very close every time, so many good players and so many who will not give up, much like yourself  :)

I'm quite competitive as well. That damn golf challenge, it quickly let me know an additional weakness of mine. I mainly play to improve (but hell yes, I enjoy a win). I have recently moved my focus towards DM's due to my extreme "suckyness" with these. This week's crew challenge reminded me about the fun of the game...it was frustrating trying to get a better lap time (and I gave up a considerable amount of potentially fun game time). So I gave up and accepted the fact that I can't do it...until rev invited me back (its his fault btw). Racing the track with friends was WAY more fun than playing alone (so fun I forgot about trying to run the track perfectly).

In conclusion...I'd have to say I'm more about the fun factor but I'll always be competitive

• Like 3