The Future of XDBX - PS3/PS4 Discussions

V17

I'm still on the fence about the move from PS3 to PS4.  Like Dublin, I'm concerned that bumping up the resolution, allowing more players per online session and increasing traffic density is just going to make the PS4 environment as laggy as the PS3 currently is. 

Apparently you are unaware of the difference hardware-wise of the PS4 vs PS3.

Comparing the two is like comparing a Windows 95 machine to the bat-computer....ok a bit of an exaggeration, but see for yourself:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/playstation-3-vs-playstation-4-in-depth-spec-comparison/

256MB RAM vs 8GB RAM............LOL

A good breakdown of the leap in tech to PS4 and Xbox1:

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/156273-xbox-720-vs-ps4-vs-pc-how-the-hardware-specs-compare/2

Edited by handcuff_charlie
  • Like 3

handcuff_charlie.jpg

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pb76

• JustHatched

• Danielle

• Jaggy

I am with the ones who will take a while to switch to PS4. PS3 is doing just fine and I think it is a bit early to make the change. Either way, I am sticking with PS. No sexBox or PC. :)

Are we talking about the same game here?

.....because the GTA V I have been playing has objects vanishing in the middle of races when player presence is high, targets do not render in sniper scopes much more than 3 blocks away, terrain frequently vanishes or becomes low-resolution block of total blur, after the 3rd or 4th tear gas canister thrown each additional one causes one to disappear, traffic density is akin to North Korea not Los Angeles......I could go on for pages.

• Like 2

handcuff_charlie.jpg

handcuff_charlie; I definitely was unaware of the difference.  Thanks for that summary.  I will definitely be doing in-depth research before I pick up the PS4.  I almost impulse-bought one when the pre-release of PS4 was bundled with Destiny...but I held off. Okay, truthfully, they were sold out when I got there.  LOL

I totally empathize with your observations as well.  I actually have to stop and wait for the terrain to res when I'm driving my Turismo.  But, since that doesn't seem to occour during invite-only sessions...I wonder if it's server-side that needs improvement.

pr0fane0ne.jpg

Servers dont render terrain. Your GPU does. The servers simply keep track of interactive objects, locations, commands, etc etc...and send that info to your console and your console sorts it all out graphically so you can see on your TV what the server is telling your console.

But I'm with you, I'm not going to be dealing with the initial trainwreck that is almost certainly coming with the PS4 launch of this game based on the R* track record.

I can wait until the holidays or even afterwards (when sale price goes down) and some of the gamebreaking bugs are sorted out. 

Edited by handcuff_charlie
  • Like 1

handcuff_charlie.jpg

Are we talking about the same game here?

.....because the GTA V I have been playing has objects vanishing in the middle of races when player presence is high, targets do not render in sniper scopes much more than 3 blocks away, terrain frequently vanishes or becomes low-resolution block of total blur, after the 3rd or 4th tear gas canister thrown each additional one causes one to disappear, traffic density is akin to North Korea not Los Angeles......I could go on for pages.

Just curious...do you have all these problems in story mode too?

I havent played story mode since January to be honest....maybe even December

But I can say that the traffic density is certainly higher with a wider variety of cars, that much I remember. I stole an Adder off the street in story mode.

handcuff_charlie.jpg

I definitely see myself buying a PS4 sometime after the next gen version of GTA is available to play, but I too will likely wait until after any launch issues are sorted out before upgrading.

Edited by PDX96

Picking my PS4 up on Friday.

The game is already paid for so I will be good to go on the 18th.

They say that everything we have on PS3 will transfer over (I use everything term loosely), I wonder once that is done if we will be able to trun on the PS3 and play without the loss of our PS3 stuff.

• Like 3

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

Picking my PS4 up on Friday.

The game is already paid for so I will be good to go on the 18th.

They say that everything we have on PS3 will transfer over (I use everything term loosely), I wonder once that is done if we will be able to trun on the PS3 and play without the loss of our PS3 stuff.

I read somewhere you get $1M in game cash for pre-ordering.....

i have a ps4 and i will be getting gta 5 for the ps4 , mainly because ofcourse the better graphics and the better performance of the the ps4 compared to the ps3

Edited by johanhummer9

I can't really afford a PS4, got more needy things to spend my money on but if the people I play with the most switch, then the needy things will have to wait!  :lol:

• Like 3

I can't really afford a PS4, got more needy things to spend my money on but if the people I play with the most switch, then the needy things will have to wait!  :lol:

Sounds like we're in the same boat.

• Like 2

Plan on purchasing the PS4 and gtaV on nov18. Initially, I will just be purchasing the console and gta, however I will be purchasing a second controller and LBP3 for my wife and myself to play (maybe online w/some of the crew as well) shortly after getting the console.

I'll be waiting for a holiday Bundle to do so (which there should be one). I expect it to be a slightly refreshed console as well. If not, that's fine.

I do anticipate the launch being another train wreck so December/January is the time I'm looking to cross over.

• Like 1

: FIRE :

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

I was in on the first train wreck, so the next one will being back some memories.

• Like 1

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

I will be staying with the PS3 for the foreseeable future. So do we got a list of all those deserting to next gen and all those staying old school?

It's gonna be odd when you all fuck off into the future. :(

I'm scared.  :ph34r:

• Like 1

Got me thinking. Unless there's a very good deal for an available bundle of the two (GTA V and PS4), I'm considering an actual digital copy of this. I have a couple digital copies of games, none of which are for anything online.

For the PS3 I have a physical copy (I prefer this for a lot of mediums for the most part). However, I'm wondering, for something like this (MMO) are there any real pros and/or cons for going digital over physical?

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

I will say we are looking at a half and half in the first 2 months shortround.

I sucks, I know. But it is also game evolution and the crew must evolve with it to stay alive. I would love if we could say "ok, everyone change over on X day", but even if most waited 6 months some will wait for 2-3 years or more. But even then they will still make the jump (probably on GTA6) so it is something that has to happen. We all different time/finance schedules, and mine is if I don

t get a PS4 now, it'll be this time next year before I have a chance of getting it.

• Like 1

You really see half of all DB switching to PS4 in two months? Thats 70+ people shelling out over $500 each. Sounds like a stretch. But obviously the core group seems eager and likely to switch.

I think you have to take into consideration that PS4 will have been out for a year. I know I wasn't too far behind making the switch from PS2 to PS3, there's just more incentive here IMO.

You really see half of all DB switching to PS4 in two months? Thats 70+ people shelling out over $500 each. Sounds like a stretch. But obviously the core group seems eager and likely to switch.

People won't be shelling out just to game with XDBX, surely there are more reasons to upgrade - It's natural for all PS gamers to upgrade to the PS4, even if this crew didn't exist I would still be buying one.

PS3 is 9 years old and it certainly feels it.

Got me thinking. Unless there's a very good deal for an available bundle of the two (GTA V and PS4), I'm considering an actual digital copy of this. I have a couple digital copies of games, none of which are for anything online.

For the PS3 I have a physical copy (I prefer this for a lot of mediums for the most part). However, I'm wondering, for something like this (MMO) are there any real pros and/or cons for going digital over physical?

Of course.

I use the digital GTAV on one console and a hard copy on another and the difference is noticeable, slow rendering is certainly reduced and I seem to have less temporary freezing during busy races, I'm not certain but I think loading time is reduced too.

Digital games can be used on 2 consoles simultaneously, if you then wish to install on a 3rd, 4th or 5th console you can simply deactivate the install on one of the 2 original consoles. 

You do not need to wait in line or go to the store to buy the game but prices on PS Store are usually full RRP for a much longer period than a game store.

You cannot scratch the disc as there isn't a disc to scratch.

Avoid buying games from PS Store which you haven't played before as there is no going back.

For me a digital copy is best because when I want a new game I literally want it now, but if cost is an issue then a hard copy is suggested.

Edited by DavidCore89
  • Like 1