Game of Thrones **Spoilers**

JuniorChubb

So ? 

What's everyone thoughts about the ending of the show ? 

I will need a good night sleep before reviewing because I'm not overly pleased with it right now. 

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Squirrel

• Fido_le_muet

• JuniorChubb

• zmurko

17 minutes ago, Fido_le_muet said:

So ? 

What's everyone thoughts about the ending of the show ? 

I will need a good night sleep before reviewing because I'm not overly pleased with it right now. 

A shadow of its former self. I had issues with the last few seasons prior but it was still good tv. The bar was just set so goddamn high. But this season has been nothing but rushed, abandoned storylines, character betrayals and subverted expectations because subverted expectations... Well, to be fair the acting was good and visuals stunning.

Edited by Banketelli
  • Like 3

The ending was leaked for me, so I just had to watch the poor execution of it play out. We all know the writers have bigger & better story arcs they were ru$hing to mess up after GOT.

I have to say I haven't seen so much plot holes, dead end meta data & thing that just do not make any sense, in any tv series as I witnessed in the last three episodes. 

I think a good short term plan to redeem GOT, would be to read the books when they are available.

I need to stick to video games more, at minimum you will have a good idea of what your getting, if you wait a couple days or weeks for game play & review videos.

1 hour ago, Smurf said:

The ending was leaked for me, so I just had to watch the poor execution of it play out. We all know the writers have bigger & better story arcs they were ru$hing to mess up after GOT.

I have to say I haven't seen so much plot holes, dead end meta data & thing that just do not make any sense, in any tv series as I witnessed in the last three episodes. 

I think a good short term plan to redeem GOT, would be to read the books when they are available.

I need to stick to video games more, at minimum you will have a good idea of what your getting, if you wait a couple days or weeks for game play & review videos.

No plot holes in video games huh? Lol

tenor.gif?itemid=5199497

6 hours ago, pete_95973 said:

No plot holes in video games huh? Lol

Strange enough Nope, the video game had little to do with the main characters or story, except for a notable appearance by the bastard Ramsey Bolton. I platinum that game with ease & it had its own made up cast, story & lure.

It’s important to separate being pissed off because you didn’t get the ending you wanted from the show being poorly written. 

Dany was always destined to become the mad queen. Since the end of season 1 she has used her growing power to instill fear and burn her enemies. She was always going to be the final enemy. A massive contrast to Jon Snow whose always tried to do the right thing no matter the cost. He was the Ice to her Fire and their stories concluded in a satisfying way.

The main problem with the show has been the limitations of TV when compared to books. In a book the only limit on numbers of characters is the writers imagination and being able to keep track of them all. Each character on the TV needs an actor, costuming etc so you can never have the same amount of depth. This is why many of the side arcs in the books never made it to TV and other characters had their stories merged. 

As storylines come to an end more focus is on the remaining characters which makes it seem rushed as the plot advances. The closer to the conclusion you get the quicker the pace becomes as there isn’t more to talk about. 

The books still have several other large story arcs they could have concluded at the same time as the main plot but there just wasn’t the budget to include them. 

The other main problem has been time jumps. 

In this episode between Danys death and the big council meeting a number of weeks definitely passed, do we really need to see what’s happening in those weeks?
They could have made it clearer so you know a lot of time has passed, I think the writers just assumed we were doing our own mental calculations to add the logical gaps. 

There is so much more in the books though and if you haven’t read them you definitely should!

Edited by Squirrel
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Smurf said:

Strange enough Nope, the video game had little to do with the main characters or story, except for a notable appearance by the bastard Ramsey Bolton. I platinum that game with ease & it had its own made up cast, story & lure.

Oh I thought you meant video games in general.  Cause even in the greatest single player I have ever played - (RDR2) - there are some ridiculous absurdities.  They usually get a pass from people because, well its a video game.

tenor.gif?itemid=5199497

I am fine with the ending and so is BeezWife who is a bigger fan of the show than I. Not sure what everyone is crying about. 

@Squirrel I liked that explanation and used points of it to explain it to my co-workers (giving you credit of course).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Beez said:

I am fine with the ending and so is BeezWife who is a bigger fan of the show than I. Not sure what everyone is crying about. 

@Squirrel I liked that explanation and used points of it to explain it to my co-workers (giving you credit of course).

I thought the ending was ok. I definitely wasn’t mad about it. Even if some of the final episodes were not the best it’s still one of the greatest TV shows I’ve ever seen. 

I think more people liked it than people realize too. The upset ones are the vocal ones (likely a vocal minority) who go online and bitch and make memes mocking the show runners to prove how smart they are. The people who liked it enjoyed it, go to bed, and then get up and go to work rather than spend all day on the internet whining. 

• Like 2

tenor.gif?itemid=5199497

The show is suffering the same online backlash as The Last Jedi. It’s now cool to hate the most popular things. 

Unless a high profile show or film is 100% perfect it’s going to attract a large portion of negative attention. 

With the GoT writers moving onto Star Wars this has given the online edgelords unlimited material to get easy internet points. 

Give it time for the hate to settle, read the books then watch the show again and then see how you feel. Apparently Winds of Winter is coming 2020 according to GRRM’s latest blog post so that’s definitely a good thing! 

• Like 2

Seems like Lost all over again.  Sure, the ending wasn't totally satisfactory for everyone, but it was still an amazing show.  The first two/three seasons of that is still some of the best television ever made.

You seen that stupid petition to remake season 8 with "competent writers"?  Just like that petition to remake The Last Jedi.

People need to chill out and stop putting all of their hopes and dreams in these things like their lives depend on it, it's just a fucking tv programme. 

• Like 3

The person who started the petition has since started a go fund me to line his own pockets. The really crazy part is that he’s not hiding the fact that the money is for himself and people are still giving him 100s of $$$ ?‍♂️

• Thanks 2

The last few seasons benefited from the insane amount of hype that was build up around GoT. Season 8 is now experiencing the other side of that coin. I'm glad you guys enjoyed it but it's incredibly easy and a tad bit arrogant to dismiss us that didn't as people getting too worked up over nothing, that just didn't get, hating just for the sake of it, ect. The show is one of the all-time best and arguable the most popular to ever exist. Naturally a lot of people are heavily invested in it so when it takes such a massive dive in quality as some thought it did, of course the internet is gonna break.

There was a lot of critique long before we knew how it ended so you can't just put it down to people not liking how it turned out. I think more people (I know I am) are more upset about how we arrived there and what was left behind.

Edited by Banketelli

7 hours ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

Seems like Lost all over again.  Sure, the ending wasn't totally satisfactory for everyone, but it was still an amazing show.  The first two/three seasons of that is still some of the best television ever made.

You seen that stupid petition to remake season 8 with "competent writers"?  Just like that petition to remake The Last Jedi.

People need to chill out and stop putting all of their hopes and dreams in these things like their lives depend on it, it's just a fucking tv programme. 

My wife and I are re-watching Lost right now.  Two episodes every Sunday night.  We just finished season 1 and man I forgot how good it is.  I remember being positively addicted to the first 4 seasons or so.  Very intriguing with some of the best character development I have seen.

• Like 1

tenor.gif?itemid=5199497

26 minutes ago, pete_95973 said:

My wife and I are re-watching Lost right now.  Two episodes every Sunday night.  We just finished season 1 and man I forgot how good it is.  I remember being positively addicted to the first 4 seasons or so.  Very intriguing with some of the best character development I have seen.

The hatch ! 

The others ! 

Not Penny's boat ! 

Awesome TV show ! 

Edited by Fido_le_muet
  • Like 1

On 5/24/2019 at 9:33 AM, LimeGreenLegend said:

WHAT???? Really? That is your opinion?

I must be going mad then! Lost was awfull from the start. It was so over the top and so ridiculous that it was, in my opinion, unwatchable!

Though I am happy they finally decided to put an end to GoT. Good news! :P

Now people can focus on other series and maybe, just maybe, we can have something decent to watch...

(lets see how much hate I can generate with this post... :D)

35 minutes ago, omarcomin71 said:

@Spinnaker1981   I’m not sure you have much credibility as a critic after your recommendation for Starship Troopers. :D

Starship Troopers is a cult classic. It’s not an Oscar winning film but it’s an iconic film of our generation. 

On 5/23/2019 at 10:59 PM, Banketelli said:

Pretty much spot on.?

Lol, basically spot on indeed.

I don't mind the ending of the show too much, but the way it was delivered after 7 highly detailed seasons was just poor.

Some severe logical inconsistencies and the rushed pace/lack of storyline details were what ruined the last season for me. (way worse than in any previous season of the series)

Edited by Protocawl
  • Like 1